Saturday, February 27, 2010

And we'll all float on...

Driving north on I-95, I was feeling kinda down. I found myself listening to depressing music and engaged in circular thinking (which can lead to insanity, I hear). Realizing I needed to take action and break the cycle, I turned on "Float On" by Modest Mouse. This is a song that reassures me everything's going to be okay. In need of some reassurance, I turned it up. The speed of my car increased with the song's volume.

My favorite part of the song is the part that goes "I backed my car into a cop car the other day, but he just drove off, sometimes life's okay." That part was coming up, adrenaline began to pump, and I was preparing to belt out these lyrics. I was speeding. I looked to my left and who was driving beside me? A cop.

Immediately, I hit the breaks. "Fuckkkk" is what I belted out instead. I watched the number on my speedometer quickly reduce to a speed that was only a few digits above the legal limit. He would pull me over for sure- I was guilty of speeding and it was obvious I knew that. Only, he didn't pull me over. He drove off. And it was okay. This all seemed to take place during the 11 seconds of that part of the song.

I cracked up. I started laughing, hyterically. Coincidence? I watched the cop car disappear ahead of me.

I know not getting pulled over for speeding is not exactly the same thing as not getting arrested for backing into a cop car. But, I still found meaning in the alignment of these song lyrics and my life. In that moment, I was able to laugh and I was okay. I was floating on.

No comments:

Post a Comment