Tuesday, March 1, 2011

San Fran: Day 1

It doesn't snow in San Francisco. Apparently, the prospect of this is laughable, especially when suggested by a newbie from the east coast. Perhaps this was a ploy devised by San Franciscan weathermen to ensure that west coast aliens lose all bets on the potential of snowfall.

I had departed Baltimore during the young hours of the morning and had sat on the plane in taxi for far too long while its encasing of ice was chemically melted away. Freed, I time traveled to a sunnier San Francisco, excited, but anxious for the long work day ahead of me. I had been awake since 3:45 in the morning and would be gaining 3 hours, which means I would arrive at 10 AM but it would feel like 1 PM to me. Looking back, this day felt endless.

Boy was I elated when I learned that once I had set up my exhibit (did I mention I was traveling for work and not play?) I did not have to work until after noon the following day! So, plane landed at 10 AM, exhibit set up by noon and my hotel room would be ready by 3. Not yet feeling adventurous or bold, I changed out of my work clothes, got a cup of coffee, answered some emails and CHILLED OUT at the hotel bux. T'was... necessary.

A college friend and native San Franciscan called to list the overwhelming must-sees we would see... but not until tomorrow. Left to my own devices, here was my Day 1, en list:

1. Eat granola for lunch.
2. Attempt to check in to pretty, conference hotel and get told your hotel is actually "right across the street."
3. Become nervous you won't know what "right across the street means." There's a good chance you will get lost forever and never make it to work by noon tomorrow.
4. Realize you are overreacting and get pointed in the right direction (and ah, it was down the block, not across the street).
5. Check in to the right hotel.
6. Enter your room, which is far too small for what work is paying you.
7. Get over it.
8. Discover a map on room desk!
9. Get text from friend suggesting a museum.
10. Attempt to utilize map, but fail to find the MOMA, just "a few blocks away," for 2 hours.
11. Find the over priced liquor/convenient store conveniently across the street from hotel!
12. Purchase a bottle of strawberry champagne and chex mix.
13. Clutch treasures in brown paper bag and be judged by business women in the elevator on the way up to your room.
14. Realize you don't have a cork screw.
15. It's a twist off!
16. Ten minutes later, wonder where half of the bottle went.
17. Finish bottle and chex mix and decide you are bold enough for dinner at a restaurant, alone.
18. Find a diner with skinny waitresses and order an entree and desert and a glass of wine (it's company dime ::wink wink::).
19. Become way too full and drunk, by yourself.
20. Stumble and roll your way back, in alternating increments, hitting the sack by 9, removing shoes.
21. Sleep 12 hours.

Goodnight San Francisco.


No comments:

Post a Comment